1. Seeing a whole series of Jimmy Fallon GIFs. I can sense his buoyant, exuberant spirit from just a few seconds of observation. His whole body communicates “joie de vivre!” – and it makes me grin. (As for the GIFs, I particularly like numbers 2, 17, 5, 14, 24, 31, and 35.)
2. Reading a comic that totally resonated with me. (And I usually skip this particular comic because I’m generally not a fan of the creator’s attitude; but for some reason I decided to go ahead and read it today – and I’m glad I did, as it gave me a smile.) :)
3. Seeing a series of images appropriately titled, “Dogs in Photo Booths.” I couldn’t help but smile at the images.
All of the pics are great, but I think this one is my favorite.
1. Seeing the puppies decide to snuggle with me versus lay in the sun. Aww, guys, thanks for choosing me!
2. Reading an article about 7 local firefighters climbing 50 flights of stairs in full gear (!!) to raise funds for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Holy crap. Amazing!
3. Seeing a fantastic Google doodle. Definitely worth the 60 second viewing!
1. Meeting a pharmacist who had a quirky-yet-fun sense of humor.
2. Reading about a local principal who is integrating technology into his school in cool, innovative ways. SO awesome.
3. Lots more snuggle time with the puppies.
Charlie is in the foreground, Jojo is in the background – and crappy TV is in the far background. :)
Here’s a close-up of Mr. Jojo.
1. Hearing a busy signal when I called someone this morning. As I listened to the “errr-errr-errr-errr” noise for a few seconds, I realized that I haven’t heard that tone in at least 10 years; I then realized that some adults have likely NEVER heard that tone. Crazy. That thought definitely made me pause; and the realization of how far technology has come in my lifetime made me feel quite happy.
2. Seeing a print ad for “Tato Skins”. It’s been at least 20 years since I’ve consumed that product – and when I saw the picture of the bag, the jingle immediately surfaced in my inner ear, and a picture of my family from the 1980s flashed in my inner eye. Kooky – and cool. Another flashback moment in my day.
3. Having great buddies to snuggle with as I attempted to out-sleep a wicked cold. These guys sacked out with me on the sofa for four hours; they are my little cuddle loves.
1. Saying hello to and smiling at strangers on the street this morning – and having them respond in kind. Such a fun way to start my day. :)
2. Seeing a woman use the camera function on her phone as a mirror. I love the way humans adapt things in completely new ways to meet their individual needs.
3. Seeing this video that explains the profound nature of true beauty – and does it in just a few minutes. If you’re pressed for time, start watching at 2:50. This woman is a gem.
1. Getting to wear jeans to work – on a Tuesday! My employer implemented a new dress code called “Dress For Your Day” – and today was Day 1 of the new policy. Hooray!!
2. Learning new skills at work. Sixteen years into my career, and I still love growing professionally.
3. Seeing a window washer work so proficiently that he made his task appear effortless. His actions looked like a moving meditation – truly.
1. Seeing a gorgeous sunrise driving into the city. The buildings were steely blue, and a thick blanket of clouds behind them were rosy pink. It was incredible.
2. The way Matthew McConaughey treated his fellow presenter during last night’s Academy Awards ceremony. He handled a difficult situation with tact and grace – which allowed the co-presenter to retain her dignity, as well as kept the experience “safe” for the attendees who had to bear witness to the event. McConaughey walked a delicate line, and balanced multiple tensions beautifully. Huge kudos to him.
3. Smart people who use witty humor to communicate important messages – to the chagrin (but not at the expense) of people/groups who oppose such views. I adore The Daily Show.
1. My dad sending my sister and I an email in quirky poetic form. I love his wacky, kooky sense of humor; he never fails to make me smile.
2. Receiving a beautifully-worded wedding invitation:
I love that this invitation makes a request (i.e., a “favor” of a reply) instead of a demand. I also love the way the couple chose to articulate the “will attend”/”will not attend” language. Beautiful.
3. A friend seeing something unexpected and happy, and thinking of me. I love it!
1. The way our puppies cuddle up against me. Many (most?) dogs don’t like to be hugged, but these little guys willingly lean their little bodies into mine, and delight when I wrap my arms around them. Such loves.
2. Reading an Oscar-themed Mad Lib – so funny! If you’re hosting an Academy Award party tomorrow, you might want to check this out. (Heck, even if you’re not holding a soiree, consider creating your own acceptance speech using this clever template – I imagine you’ll chuckle, if not laugh outright.) :)
3. Receiving an email that contained many positive quotes and happy images; here are three of my favorites:
1. Discovering a great new TV show. Funny, smart, and genuine – with fantastic acting to boot. Love it!
2. Receiving an amazing new perspective on time - and therefore on the relative importance of things, and of life as a whole. (Thank you for sharing this with me BIL!)
3. A friend letting me know that she has been enjoying an app I mentioned a few weeks ago. I love hearing back that people find value in the things I share. Thanks B!
“Dancing Shoes” by Helene Schjerfbeck, a Finnish painter. 1882