1. Hearing a dad try to tell his 17-year-old son how to pop the hood of the vehicle the son was driving:
DAD: “Pull on the lever under the dashboard.”
SON: (Looking on the passenger side of the dash) “I don’t see it.”
DAD: “It’s on the other side, son.”
SON: (Now looking near the driver’s door handle) “I still don’t see it.”
DAD: “It’s closer to the floor.”
SON: (Now looking at the brake pedal) “I can’t find it.”
DAD: “Not that far forward. Closer to your seat.”
SON: (Frantically looking everywhere) “Dad, I don’t think it’s here…”
DAD: (Exasperated; walks from the front of the car to the driver’s door. Points.) “There, son.”
2. Learning about a variety of truly ingenious inventions:
- A sleeping bag that doubles as an incubator for premature babies
- A museum app that walks patrons to selected works, based on each individual’s current mood
- Backpacks that store solar energy to provide light for nighttime study
- A mobile phone case that turns digital images into print photos – in under a minute!
- Clothing that directs the wearer around an unknown city. (Oh, how I would have LOVED this in Japan!)
- An electric foldable bike that fits into a standard size backpack. Mind blown.
3. A friend sending me a link full of vegan holiday recipes. How thoughtful! I was (and still am) touched by her kindness.